It’s important to always be aware of the air quality in your home – especially in the Winter months when we tend to have less fresh air flow due to windows and doors being closed. One of the most crucial items you need in your home is a Carbon Monoxide detector. These alarms are designed to warn you of any unusual build-up of Carbon Monoxide (CO) in your home and should be installed on every level of your home.
To prevent CO leaks, make sure you don’t use your generators or grills inside the home – they should be used outside and away from windows and doors. It’s also important to avoid using your oven or stovetop to heat your home – it might seem like a good solution during a cold snap, but it is not safe to heat your home this way. Lastly, check your vents for your dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace outside to make sure they are clear of any snow or debris.
It is imperative that you are both cleaning and testing your CO alarms regularly (just like smoke detectors) – plus, if your unit is battery-powered, make sure to replace the battery once a year. Keep you and your family safe with a CO Detector and if you have any questions, you can always call Ross to the Rescue at 631-518-2874!